The high ethane content of shale gas currently entering pipelines is on the rise, potentially causing LNG product to be off-spec. Stratification in LNG storage tanks may also occur. To address the problem, Linde has developed standard ethane removal technologies.
Ethane removal must be (1) low cost and (2) energy efficient while improving production and meeting quality specifications. The key components are a Linde-designed and manufactured plate fin heat exchanger and a stripping column with an auxilliary refrigeration unit. The plate fin heat exchanger has a compact footprint, saving space and cost. Our solution provides three options to meet site-specific needs:
- Upstream of liquefaction unit (downstream of dehydration)
- Tie-in to liquefaction unit
- Downstream of liquefaction unit and upstream of LNG storage
Selection depends on existing plant equipment. For instance, tying into an existing liquefaction unit provides for the lowest LNG losses, but is highly dependent on the cold box design. Linde can evaluate the existing plant and provide a recommendation for the most economical solution.
Our pre-engineered design mitigates project schedule and operating risks, delivering:
- Complete process design
- Modularized equipment layout
- Short delivery time
- Easy tie-in with minimal interference on operations
- Minimum on-site construction
- Simple and robust technology
- Optimized energy efficiency
- Little or no down time for the facility