- Air Separation
- Natural Gas
- Gas Products
- Petrochemical plants
- Adsorption and membrane plants
- Cryogenic Plants
- Refining Technologies
- Furnaces, fired heaters and incinerators
Thermal oxidation is the most flexible, efficient, reliable and in some cases the only means of destroying hazardous and toxic chemical wastes. For more than six decades, Linde Engineering has supplied thermal oxidation and incineration systems, specializing in liquid and fume incineration of hazardous chemical wastes. Our scope of supply includes oxidizers, heat recovery, by-product recovery and other equipment and controls to meet emission requirements.
Our incinerators provide emission solutions in the following industries:
- Plant producers and users
- Textile manufacturing and printing
- Plastics and Olefins
- Destruction of chemical weapons and munitions
Some of our processes can be used to recover acids, energy, metals and salts.
Flameless thermal oxidizers
Linde Engineering’s patented THERMATRIX® flameless thermal oxidizers (FTOs) are field-proven, high performance and cost-effective solutions for the destruction and removal of a wide range of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and hazardous air pollutants (HAPs). We offer a full range of FTOs to handle flows from 1 to 100,000 scfm (1 - 160,700 Nm³/hr). Our portfolio ranges from stand-alone emissions control devices to large-scale process treatment systems and process-integrated, turnkey pollution control systems.
Our FTOs deliver a host of benefits including:
- Guaranteed 99.99% destruction removal efficiency (DRE), including halogenated organics
- Ultra-low NOx (less than 2 ppm)
- No secondary organic waste stream
- Energy efficient operation (self-sustaining down to 10 Btu/cf in fume)
- Approved for classified areas for flexible positioning directly at the source of emissions
- Stable operation when responding to variable organic loading
- Completely inert matrix with no catalysts to foul
- Superior turndown capability that better addresses minimum base load conditions and reduces operating costs
- Easily permitted (no continuous emissions monitoring required)
- Creates the potential for emissions credits
Incinerators for gaseous and non-aqueous liquid wastesBacked by over 60 years of experience, our flame-based oxidizers can dispose of every kind of organic gaseous and liquid waste generated by the chemical, petrochemical, pharmaceutical and metals industries. All of our systems are based on the high mixing performance generated by a high-swirl burner, effectively combining the combustible waste particles and the required combustion air, to ensure complete combustion.
We use simple up-fired designs if waste constituents are basically organic compounds. If halogens, sulfur and phosphorous are present, we incorporate scrubbers or other mist removal systems. We add particulate removal devices for waste that contains metals.
We developed submerged combustion (Sub-X®) technology for waste disposal. This process ensures safe, reliable and rapid quenching of flue gases to minimize dioxin formation when halogenated compounds are present. Typical waste streams treated include halogenated hydrocarbons, organic and inorganic compounds, complex waste streams, PCBs and di-isocyantes.
Incinerators for aqueous waste streams
Incineration is used to treat aqueous waste streams when biological processes are not a technically or economically viable option. Incinerating waste streams comprising salt brines, aqueous liquids with organic contaminates, inorganic salts or metals pose many challenges. The most important consideration is that organic components have to be completely destroyed.
Typical applications include:
- Spent caustic from ethylene plants
- Refinery waste
- Pharmaceutical plant waste
- Agricultural chemical plant waste
- Bio-diesel plant waste
During the incineration process, most of the alkaline metals form molten salts that are corrosive to and reactive with many common materials. We meet the application challenges of these complex wastes by down firing the incinerator into our proprietary Sub-X® design to continuously remove salts from the incinerator walls. Our design rapidly cools the gases to deliver a highly efficient solution The high level of agitation dissolves most of the salt, ensuring that the gases undergo initial cleaning. Any residual salts within the gas stream are scrubbed, meeting the highest air quality standards.